Is Your Home Ready for Winter?
In a recent online survey, commissioned by Duck® brand and conducted by Harris Poll, Duck® brand uncovered the current trends in home weatherization:
- Almost two thirds of Americans (63%) live in a home that needs weatherization.
- Among those, nearly one third (32%) do not weatherize their home, with the top reason being they are not sure what to buy.
- Of the 68% of Americans that do weatherize their homes:
- More than half (54%) weatherize to save money on energy bills and 22% weatherize to be green/energy efficient.
- Nearly half (44%) weatherize to make the temperature in their home more comfortable.
- One quarter of Americans say that a large/fair amount of draft of cold air gets into their home through doors (25%) and through windows (25%).
- When it gets too cold in their home, nearly half of Americans (49%) turn up the heat on the thermostat to stay warm.
Over 3 in 5 Americans (62%) say their ideal home temperature during the winter is 70 degrees Fahrenheit or warmer. But to save money and energy, the U.S. Department of Energy suggests setting the thermostat to 68°F and lowering it even further when dwellers are sleeping or away from home.